Tuesday, October 11, 2005

S.S.E.T.I. Seeks Amateur Radio Operators From Around The globe!

Sorry, I made a mistake. I thought the S.S.E.T.I. team was only seeking amateur radio operators from Europe, but apparently anyone, anywhere, with the means, is welcome to participate.

The idea is this: Students build a micro-satellite, no more than two kilos, and use a grid of amateur radio operators as a ground control. Operators must download and learn to operate the required software, and have a true desire to see the project succeed, but otherwise, it's open to anyone. Join now!

The cool thing is, if this system works they will build a micro-lunar orbiter and Lander (with remote rover) and lay the groundwork for what may become a fleet of microsats in orbit. Students from twelve European countries are working together on this project, with a little help from the European Space Agency, Arianespace and the Russians.
I would like to see students from Asia and the Americas participating, or even competing. Students can bring a lot of knowledge and hard work to a program such as this. With the guidance of professionals at NASA, the Canadian Space Agency and the Brazilian Space Program, I think a student run Space launch cooperative could be very successful.
It might have the added bonus of spurring renewed interest in science, math and engineering programs and re-invigorate the Space programs of its host countries.
Just a thought...

Anyway, if you're an amateur radio operator, get on board at S.S.E.T.I. and good luck!

Oh, and drop me a line if do you participate...I'd like to hear about it.

No comments: