Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Voyager I at the Space Frontier

For almost 30 years Voyager I and Voyager II have been soaring around our Solar System, taking readings and pushing the boundaries of explored Space. Today, NASA scientists announced Voyager I has entered the transistional phase between our Solar System and Interstellar Space. In my opinion, there has been no better or cost effective mission to date, except, maybe, the current Mars probes. And the Voyager probes are showing no signs of slowing.
Here's a clip from the story at CNN.com:


The Voyager probes were equipped with three radioisotope thermoelectric generators to produce electrical power for the spacecraft systems and instruments.
Barring hardware failure, Voyager I and II boast enough power and communications capability to keep radioing back to Earth until 2020, NASA says.




To get a better idea of where Voyager I and II are and where they're heading, check out this interactive story, also from CNN.com. And here's a CGI movie compliments of NASA.

And if you're still hungry for knowledge check out this Voyager I and II fact sheet from the Encyclopedia Astronautica, the Wikipedia listing and the official NASA/JPL Voyager site.

No comments: