Monday, April 04, 2005

Big Space Symposium: Who Cares?

More than 6,000 space professionals are expected to attend the 21st National Space Symposium which kicks off Tuesday in Colorado Springs. I wish I had received an invitation but alas, the best I can do is pick apart the news stories filed by the people who will be there.
Here's one from Space.com:

http://www.space.com/spacenews/businessmonday_050404.html

It tells very little about what they hope to accomplish at this symposium. Or even what may have been accomplished at the previous 20 symposiums. I'm sure someone could rattle off a list of things "discussed without end" but what sort of actual, concrete ANYTHING, ever came out of one these soirees?
The Space.com story does include this little nugget:

"The four-day event will feature panel discussions of a number of hot topics in the space business including the future of private spaceflight and the role entrepreneurs will play in that development, the latest in satellite technology, new requirements, new concepts, and new directions for the launch industry, the implications of the bush Administration’s plans for reform of the intelligence community, remotes sensing, Earth observation and geo intelligence uses of space data; corporate issues, and launch activity in the Pacific Ocean region."


If you want more detailed info check out the official Web site for the symposium here:

http://www.spacesymposium.org/national05/information/index.cfm

I think this story may be a little more enlightening. It's from the media (That's me) section of the main site:
http://spacesymposium.org/national05/media/

Even after reading all of these stories and scanning all of these sites I am still no closer to understanding what it is they plan to do at this symposium other than talk.
Not that I am against a good old-fashioned "rap session" about Space as an exchange of information. It's just this thing seems more like a mini-vacation disguised as real work.
Of course the Media (that's me again) is to blame. It's nice that they let us know what's going on and who's going to be there, but how about a little more about what gets accomplished or at least, what they HOPE to get accomplished.
It is interesting to note, I didn't see one single name from Scaled Composites; No Rutan, no Binnie, no Melville.
Hhhhmmmm. I might be wrong, but it seems I recall these guys doing something groundbreaking recently...I just can't seem to remember what it was..
http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes_oct17_oct30_04.html

Oh yeah. That was it. I can't believe they have nothing to contribute. Can you?

No comments: