Thursday, August 25, 2005

Same Old Story...

I have a headache. I thought I might check out some positive Space news, but alas, there is very little.
It's mostly same old, same old, you know what I mean? Administrators, bureaucrats, billionares and mad scientist-types are always promising this and promising that. It seems like a never ending offer of "pipe-dreams for everyone."
To coin a phrase, where's the beef?
A Space Elevator by 2010? I'll believe it when I see it.
NASA doing anything to make Space travel easier and within the grasp of commoners like you and I? Not bloody likely, I'll tell you that. I'll admit their new Small Aircraft Transportation System promises to revolutionize the way we travel around the planet, I don't see them doing much for Space travel. They've already spent around $1.2 Billion to fix the Shuttle following the Columbia accident, and have managed to do almost nothing. I saw them patting themselves on the back because they did an orbital flip with Discovery and did an emergency Spacewalk. Was I the only person who felt vomit rising in the back of their throat? This kind of stuff should be old hat for them. What have they been doing for the last three decades?
Think about it: A $1.2 Billion retro fit that doesn't accomplish anything and they're just now trying to fly the damn thing in Space? For $1.2 Billion you could build and launch a dozen Soyuz Spacecraft. You could have the damn things sitting around in a garage, ready to go at a moments notice.

I still have a headache, only now I'm angry too.

I wanted to travel in Space and now it appears that's not likely to happen. I have a daughter. I'm gonna have two daughters in very short order and I want to know they will have the option of traveling in Space.
It's imperative we, as a species, embrace Space travel as a natural expansion of Humankind.
We can't stay on Earth forever. We have to move-on, spread our culture, our races, around the Solar System at the very least. Later we can worry about the stars. But for now, we should at least lay claim to the worlds within our grasp.
I may not have that chance, but I plan to make certain my daughters have it as an option to refuse if that is the case, but at least it'll be an option.

Maybe these people (XCOR) have the answer....who knows. But I'm gonna find out.

No comments: