Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Poor, dumb and earthbound

With little hope of ever affording the expected price tag of a simple sub-orbital flight to space, I thought I might do the next best thing. Watching everybody else do it and expounding on what takes place, maybe I can put it into perspective; find a way for everyone to know and understand, our world is rapidly changing. A New Age is upon us and we must ready ourselves, our neighbors and our children.
Call me Space Ace. I am the eyes and ears of the People of Earth and I am watching and listening as we make our presence known in the Sol System.
SETI has searched the Heavens for decades now, in hopes of gleaning a whisper from the chatter of the Universe. But soon we will do more than listen, we will shout up into the darkness, sending gig after gig of data streaming into the galaxy in hopes of receiving a call back.
We fire a multitude of rockets and probes, ever deeper into our system, searching and probing, for what? We may soon find out.
There are those who make things happen (the Rich,) those who watch what happens (the Middle Class) and those who wonder what happened (Everybody else.)
The dawning age of space travel promises everything cruise ships were in the beginning of the 20th Century: expensive, uncomfortable and likely unsafe. But since when has that ever stopped us?
I wish it were more reasonably priced. Regardless of the risk I would gladly strap my ass to any rocket fueled up and ready to go, if only to catch one fleeting glimpse of eternity before burning up like a Roman candle.
But since I can't, I'll do this. I'll bring the Heavens down here.
I am Space Ace.

No comments: