Thursday, March 24, 2005

All systems: Go!

So, just to be on the safe side I checked to see how many other Space Ace's there were out there in Web-land. There were not as many as I suspected, but their quirkiness far exceeded even my warped imagination.
For instance: www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/spaceace.htm tells the tale of one dedicated fans lifelong obsession with a little leotard-clad space boy out to save the world. It is interesting to note his "professor" was using ion-engines decades before NASA. There's even a little picture of him. Don't ask me what the "V" stands for.

You might expect a site about a space-faring young lad to pop up, but nothing prepared me for www.spaceaceonline.com There is a posted warning on the Site: "This is an ACE Frehley biased (sic) site!! You may become an addict."
Of course the very next words encourage you to "bookmark us now!" so I don't know how worried we should be about that. Besides, I'm sure there's a 12-step program we could join to break our addiction to "a Rock and Roll Legend."

And then I found: www.atarihq.com/coinops/laser/spaceace.html dedicated to that old cartoonish arcade game. Remember? It was the sequel to Dragon's Lair, with the guy who wears the cool space suit and gets turned into a geeky kid...No?...that's Ok, I had forgotten about it too. I must have pumped a gajillion quarters into that thing when I was a kid, just so I could watch a few more precious seconds of the cartoon. Much as I did with Dragon's Lair...so much for my college money.
But alas, that site too had little to do with actual space and more to do with inspiring Generation X'ers (like myself) to run out and try to recapture their youth.

No folks, I am not a Japanese cartoon, an aging Rock God or a sequel to a classic arcade game. I am Space Ace: "Space" is for the beat I cover and "Ace" is for what I am--Ace Reporter.
I figure, if someone can call Ace Frehley a "Rock God" I can call myself an "Ace Reporter."

If you want to know what space is really like, check out these old journal postings from a real Space Ace: International Space Station, Expedition 7 NASA ISS Science Officer Ed Lu. Apparently Ed found some free time to jot down a few notes for us mere mortals.

{Things have been sketchy lately, as far as ISS is concerned. Shuttle flights delayed, supplies running short, garbage running over and a circuit board that won't get its act together, have only added to the already high-stress conditions the astronauts train for. But there is light on the horizon, in the form of re-sumption of shuttle flights. And it's definitely a positive sign that scientists aboard the ISS posted their first scientific paper last year with more planned. Astronauts and ground-based scientists are still optimistic about possible future scientific contributions from the station. And so am I. After all, Virgin Galactic pilots will need something to show the tourists on their way to the Moon.}

spaceflight1.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp7/luletters

No comments: